Thursday, July 22, 2010

Confession of a mugger

If you look up the dictionary for the definition of "mugger", you will find that it means a person who commits robbery with violence, especially in the street or a large crocodile in Asia. What I am admitting it is not these, but the Singaporean student definition of "mugger", which means a pupil who studies a lot.

I confess: I belong to that category. I do all my homework on time. I study the topic and the related concepts. I revise all my past notes and worksheets before the test. However, do not get the misconception that I truly enjoy doing all of these. Yes, I savor the taste of submitting a good piece of work that I put my effort into, and yes I like seeing A's on my examinations but if given a choice not to do at all, I would rather spend it on leisure.

Besides, I like walking into the classroom knowing exactly what is going on instead of following the teacher blindly. Learning new theories and concepts is not really a bad thing as the world slowly opens up to you. Being a "mugger" is quite an experience, a fruitful one at that. To comprehend the world around you, sometimes you simply have to hit the books.

Last but not least, if there wasn't a "mugger" like me in your classroom, how would you get your homework done? :)

3 comments:

  1. What a post ! I admit I am a typical mugger too but its just better to not show it sometimes yeah ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mugger. Hmm, interesting term. I feel that we should balance our studying and playing time well and not just concentrate on studying. As everyone knows, "All work no play makes Jack (Zach) a dull boy".

    As for the term 'mugger', I think it is used too loosely. But still, there are a few people who get affected by this term. I wonder who?

    (The Zach reference was just an inside-joke.)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I think i'm one of those people in your fan club already! However, it seems that you don't balance between work and play, although you'd rather do that. Here's a tip: Whenever you feel like it, just take a break. Trust me, it'll do you good.
    Li Yang

    ReplyDelete